If you dream of sharing one of our stunning Indian Ocean sunsets with friends on Instagram then check out New York Instagrammer @sweatengine’s top tips.
In an article on the Instagram Blog, Instagrammer Kevin Lu (@sweatengine) explains how he captures the bustling, 24-hour energy of his native New York in a range of time-lapse videos using only his iPhone.
Pick a subject with movement
Picking the subject of your time-lapse video is an important starting point according to @sweatengine and while he believes that each frame, ‘should be as good as a still photograph’ he advises that movement is the key.
He recommends choosing something which ‘moves slowly over time or makes intermittent, unpredictable movements for interesting results’. A sunset or waves on the beach would therefore make an ideal subject.
Choose the right time-lapse app
The important technical details to remember, according to @sweatengine, are:
- To secure the smart phone so that it doesn’t move
- Turn off auto-lock
- Lock the exposure settings before you start to avoid ‘flickering’
Make sure you set the duration of the filming for long enough to capture the movement you want. For a sunset or sunrise @sweatengine recommends a duration time of 20 minutes or longer.
Send us your time-lapse videos
We’d love to see the results of your time-lapse videos filmed during your stay with us so make sure you tag them #Constance.
- Check out our guide to enhancing your photos with the Instagram filters
- Get more tips on creating stunning Instagram photography from Instagrammer @Kardinalmelon
- Find out how to create the perfect underwater photograph.