With its stunning coastline, dramatic mountainous interior, vibrant culture and spectacular coral reefs, Mauritius offers visitors so much to see you may need to keep coming back.
Here are our pick of 5 must see sights in Mauritius.
Whether you choose to hike through it, quad bike over it, take a Segway tour or fly through the air on one of the many ziplines which criss-cross the Casela National Park there is plenty to see and do here. Adventurers can try canyoning, rock climbing or just swimming in one of the many natural pools while nature enthusiasts can enjoy an African safari including a walk with lions.
2. The Coral Garden off Grand Bay
A stunning treat for keen scuba divers, large natural rock structures appear as giant underwater steps adorned by a variety of hard and soft corals including the spectacular gorgonian fan coral. This is a perfect site for spotting larger marine species including stingrays, eagle rays, titan triggerfish and even nurse sharks.
3. Port Louis Market
No trip to Mauritius would be complete without exploring the vibrant bustling life of Port Louis’ daily food market. Mix with local Mauritians as they buy fresh fish, meat, spices, fruit and vegetables and be sure to sample some of the delicious street food on sale like the famous gateaux piments (fried chilli cakes).
4. The view from Le Pouce (Mauritius’ tallest peak)
With 360º views around the island including a stunning view over the capital Port Louis, a hike up Le Pouce (part of the Moka mountain range) is a must for the more adventurous visitor. Despite its height of 811m, the walk is a relatively easy one, making it a perfect day trip for those looking for an alternative to lounging in the sun.
5. Rochester Falls
This stunning waterfall of clear, fresh water tumbling down dramatic lava cliffs is a perfect spot for swimming and picnicking. Those brave enough can prove themselves by diving from the falls into the deep pool below.
- Find out about Constance Le Prince Maurice and Constance Belle Mare Plage both situated on the East coast of Mauritius
- For more inspiration see our guide to adrenalin sports in Mauritius
- Discover what’s on in Mauritius in 2014
- Find out more about the wildlife of Mauritius
- Uncover the secret to luxury long haul family holidays to Mauritius
- For more off-beat ideas read 5 unusual aquatic activities to try in Mauritius on the Made In Mauritius blog.