Deciding which of your favourite summer outfits to take and which to leave behind is always one of the hardest pre-holiday tasks.
If packing for a luxury holiday leaves you feeling frazzled help is at hand, June’s Vogue magazine features a guide to ‘the art of packing’.
Here are our top 10 tips to help you pack with style.
1. Learn how to fold clothes properly and where they should be placed in the suitcase from the inspirational Louis Vuitton ‘The Art of Packing’ website.
2. Get online and check out what the weather’s going to be like – cold evenings or brief showers are no problem if you’ve packed for them.
3. Download a packing app. Forget all those hastily scribbled lists – an app like Packing Pro will break down everything you need to bring from passport to hair-straighteners with a ‘sample list’ full of useful suggestions.
4. Give yourself plenty of time. All your good intentions of packing the perfect capsule wardrobe will go flying out the window if you’re hurling clothes into a suitcase half an hour before your taxi’s due.
5. Make sure your suitcase is lightweight, you may not mind paying overweight luggage to take your favourite shoes with you but you don’t want to pay it because the case itself is too heavy.
6. Lost luggage is a nightmare so always label your luggage and keep a card inside your suitcase with your contact details, just in case.
7. Make sure your iPod/smartphone is fully stocked with all your favourite music, movies, apps, games etc before you go, and don’t leave it to the last minute as downloading can take time.
8. Pack an empty foldable bag just in case you decide to do a little shopping while you’re away.
9. Vogue’s Art of Packing suggests keeping shirts, trousers and dresses in dry-cleaning plastic protectors to prevent creasing in your suitcase – we couldn’t agree more.
10. Fold jackets and blazers always fastening buttons or zips and then turning up the collar and folding in lapels. Tops and t-shirts can be rolled but should be carefully folded first.
- Find out more about our 7 luxurious hotels and resorts in the Indian Ocean on our website: Constance Hotels and Resorts
- Discover the top 5 luxury travel accessories for 2014.