It’s finally here – the most important day of your life. And the last thing you want on your wedding day is to feel wound up like a spring when you should be feeling chilled as an ice-cold mojito.
So relax. If you’re getting married at any one of Constance Hotels and Resorts’ Indian Ocean properties, everything will be taken care of. All you have to do is enjoy the day. But we know it’s easier said than done, so what do we recommend? Read on our for our ten best tips for de-stressing before your wedding.
1. The day before, turn off all your devices, even if only for a couple of hours. Find a few hours together to sit and just be, taking the time to soak up your glorious surroundings and contemplate what lies ahead. You’ll have plenty of time to update everyone later.
2. It’s an obvious one, but a trip to Constance USpa for a massage is a genuinely good idea. You’re bound to feel tense or have tight muscles after a long flight, so let our therapists work their magic.
3. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, let somebody else take the strain for a while. If it’s just the two of you, don’t hesitate to seek out our wedding planners if you have any concerns. Or if you’re here with a crowd, delegate something to a family member if it feels like you’ve got too much on your plate.
4. Take ten minutes to stand at the water’s edge and just gaze. Seriously. You’re in the Indian Ocean, where the sea couldn’t possibly be any more beautiful, and research has shown that feeling connected to a scene of natural beauty can help lower your heart rate in times of anxiety.
5. A hot, softly-lit bath cures all ills. Sprinkle in some bath salts or a few drops of your favourite essential oil and let the stresses of the wedding build-up melt away. Focus on the day ahead and let go of any concerns that might still be lingering. We are here to make sure everything goes smoothly, so all you have to do is concentrate on having the best day ever.
6. Listen to some music or watch a film. Engaging your senses in something all-encompassing like an engrossing drama or your favourite singalong album will keep you anchored to the present moment and help calm your mind.
7. Take a yoga class. There’s no doubt about it, yoga is one of the best activities for balancing both the body and the mind. And it’s particularly good for stress relief too, especially any poses that open up the shoulders and help relieve muscle tension in the neck.
8. If you feel your blood pressure rising, try eating a potassium-rich snack like a banana. Not only are they an excellent energy booster, studies have shown that potassium can help protect you from the negative effects stress can have on the body.
9. Still feeling jittery? Banish last minute nerves with a trip to the gym. It’s pretty hard to be consumed by anxiety when you’re pounding the treadmill or lifting some weights. And exercise produces endorphins too, giving you a megawatt boost of positivity before you finally tie the knot.
10. Breathe, deeply. The reason why it works is because the act of taking those long, slow, measured breaths helps your body to feel like it does when you are truly relaxed. So find somewhere quiet to sit or lie down, breathe deeply in and out, and pay attention to the way your body unwinds.
- Discover how to plan your dream destination wedding
- how to find the perfect destination for your wedding
- See the 8 steps to creating your perfect wedding.