Liven up curries and rougails with this deliciously exotic papaya pickle.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 24 hours
Raising time: 2 hours
Draining time: 30 minutes
- 300 g green papaya
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and pepper
1. Peel and grate the green papaya. Add the coarse salt, mix well and let rest for 30 minutes to drain out the moisture.
2. Peel and chop the onion and garlic separately. Slit the green chilli lengthwise.
3. Fry the onion, garlic and green chilli for 1 minute in a saucepan, in 1 tbsp olive oil without cooking.
4. Dissolve the turmeric in vinegar and add it to the saucepan. Add mustard and remaining olive oil. Mix well and take off the heat.
5. Rinse the papaya in cold running water and squeeze it carefully between your hands to remove all moisture. Add it to the sauce, mix well, correct seasoning.
6. Let cool, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Serve with curries, daubes or rougails.