Our chefs at Constance Lémuria love to create recipes combining sumptuous fresh, local seafood with fragrant Seychellois spices.
Make this an authentic Seychelles meal by accompanying it with basmati rice, tomato or mango chutney and vegetable pickles (achards).
Crab with saffron and coconut
Ingredients (serves 4–6)
- 1.5kg (3.3 lb.) fresh Crab (we use Giraffe Crab)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp of finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 fresh red chilli peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp salt
- liquid from 2 grated pressed coconuts (or 1 if preferred)
- 400g can of cream of coconut
- a few curry leaves
1. Cut the crab into two pieces and season with salt.
2. Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and turmeric over a low heat until the onion begins to colour. Add the coconut milk.
3. Add the crab pieces. Stir gently, coating the crab with the sauce. Season with salt, add the cardamom and curry leaves, cover, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and cook a few minutes longer until the liquid has evaporated. The sauce should be thick and creamy.
- Visit the Constance Lémuria website for more information or to make a booking
- Find out more about Seychellois cooking in our guide to Seychellois cuisine: cooking with spices.