Constance resorts have earned themselves a reputation for elegance and an attention to personal service that makes you feel you’ve joined a luxury members’ club.
But what these resorts also offer are beautifully proportioned spaces in which you can totally unwind and relax.
In the first of our series, here’s an insight into the work of the architectural and design teams behind Constance Le Prince Maurice.
Constance Le Prince Maurice, Mauritius
Le Prince Maurice is our deluxe 5* resort in Mauritius, and part of the exclusive Relais & Chateaux group.
Mauritian architect Jean Marc Eynaud was the mastermind behind the resort, which opened in 1998 after 9 months of construction and more than 3 years of planning.
When designing the entrance to the hotel, the architects and concept designers were inspired by Greek temples and the way a succession of halls lead to a god or goddess.
As you approach the main entrance of Le Prince Maurice, steps take you up to a walkway over a small wooden bridge. Ahead, 2 columns narrow the field of vision, before opening up to a wide area where you enjoy panoramic views of the resort.
And if you arrive at night, the visual effects are inverted as the focus flips onto the hotel itself with the architectural play on perspective coming from the lights.
Feng Shui harmony
- Beds are high above floor level to help the circulation of Qi, or energy.
- In the first hall of L’Archipel restaurant, internal concrete columns are at the centre of the hall (the wooden ones are external) increasing the concentration of energy in the centre of the space.
- The Lounge Bar design is dedicated to the lotus flower, the symbol of life and the interplay of the yin and yang.
- The gardens have been created to give a natural impression with touches that are at first invisible to the eye – hundreds of night jasmine start to flower when the sun sets, filling the air with their heady perfume.
Find out more about our Constance resorts
If you want to know more about these and some of our other resorts, check out these other articles:
- Spotlight: Constance Le Prince Maurice, Mauritius
- The Jewel Island: Constance Moofushi
- Spotlight: Lodge Tsarabanjina, Madagascar
- Spotlight: Constance Halaveli Resort, Maldives
Weekly round-up: 10-16 October 2011 | Elegance, Excellence and Extraordinary PlacesOctober 17, 2011 at 8:33 am
[…] Architectural design at our Constance resorts Fascinating insight into the work of the architectural and design teams behind Constance Le Prince Maurice. […]