We like to share some of our chef’s finest recipes so that you can experience the Constance luxury experience when you are at home. This week we would like to share with you our recipe for spicy chicken legs Mauritius style.
Remember when making this dish our chefs recommend giving yourself a day to let the chicken marinate. They also recommend using a tandoor oven but if you dont have access a regular oven will be just fine.
Spicy Chicken Legs
Preparation Time: 25 minutes marinating time: 26 hours
Cooking Time: 1 1/4 Hour
Draining Time: 24 Hours
- 1 kg boned chicken legs
- juice of lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small chunk ginger
For the marinade: 20 cl plain yogurt, drained in a cloth for 24 hours, 1 level tsp powdered cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp yellow chilli powder.
For the tomato sauce: 50 cl tomato coulis, 80 g finely chopped onions, 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic, 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger, 2 sprigs thyme, 20 cl plain yogurt, 30 g untoasted cashew nuts, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 2 blades ofrnace, l/2 tsp garam masala,1 level tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp powdered coriarider seeds, 1/2 tsp powdered cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp chart masala (a mix of black salt and sour mango powder), red chilli powder to taste (if you want a spicy dish), 2 tbsp vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
Two days in advance, cut each chicken leg into 3 pieces. Put all the chicken legs in a dish with the lemon juice and chopped garlic. Grate the ginger on top, mix and marinate for 2 hours. The juice will tenderize the meat.
Mix the marinade ingredients, add them to the chicken, mix well, cover and refrigerate for for 24 hours.
- On the day you want to serve the dish, grill the chicken in a hot oven (300 °C) for 10 minutes. If possible and you have one available, bake it in a tandoor oven, which gives it a slightly smoky taste.
- Blend the cashews into a thick paste with a little water.
- In a frying pan, sweat the onions, garlic, ginger and thyme in the oil for 2 minutes. Add the whole spices – coriander, cumin, fennel and mace – and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomato sauce and stew for 20 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, salt, pepper, red chilli powder, powdered coriander, powdered cumin and chart masaia. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cashew paste, the turmeric and the chicken legs. Simmer for 30 minutes on low heat. Add yogurt (do not let it boil), correct seasoning and serve.