Bourbon vanilla produced on the islands of the Indain Ocean (Madagascar, Comoros, Mauritius, La Réunion) is very popular. It is widely used in patisserie, as an ice cream, and also in confectionery and in various forms (fresh pods, powder, liquid extract or sugar vanilla).
At Constance Belle Mare Plage, we offer a multitude of different flavours of ice cream. It is always vanilla which is the most popular.
The ice cream:
- 2 vanilla pods
- 750ml milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 150g sugar
- 125g crème fraîche
1. Prepare the custard: slit the vanilla pod in two lengthways and scrape the seeds with a knife into a saucepan.
2. Pour the milk into the saucepan and bring it to the boil over a gentle heat. Turn off the heat and leave it to infuse for 15 minutes.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl, until smooth and creamy.
4. Pour the hot milk slowly, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the spoon. Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
5. Remove the vanilla pod from the custard. Pour it into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
The chocolate sauce:
- 100g cooking chocolate
- 100ml whipping cream
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and cover them with boiling cream.
2. Stir until the chocolate melts, then store it in the fridge.
- 50g chocolate chips
- 50g crushed hazelnuts