Bring paradise to your home with this delicious fruity dessert. Guaranteed to pep up the finale to a weekend dinner party.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Marinating time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Freezing time: 1 hour
Refrigerating time: 1 hour
- 2 mangoes
- juice and grated zest of 2 limes
- pulp and seeds of 2 passion fruit
For the custard:
- 10cl milk
- 10cl crème fraîche
- 40g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 vanilla pod
For the white chocolate mousse:
- 150g white chocolate
- 1 leaf gelatin
- 15g chilled whipping cream
For the coconut croustillant
- 60g grated coconut
- 70g syrup (made from 40g sugar boiled with 30cl water)
1. To make the custard: in a saucepan, scald the milk with crème fraîche and vanilla, then remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, briskly whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Pour the hot milk on the sugar-yolks mixture, whisk well, pour this back into the saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring with a spatula until thickened. Remove from heat, pour custard through a sieve and keep 100g aside for the mousse.
3. Make the white chocolate mousse: soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water. Finely chop the white chocolate with a knife.
4. After 10 minutes, drain the gelatine and squeeze it between your fingers to remove moisture. Incorporate it to the warm custard, then pour the custard onto the chocolate and mix until smooth and creamy.
5. In a chilled bowl, whip the chilled cream until stiff. Fold this whipped cream into the chocolate cream, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Wash the mangoes, peel them and finely slice them with a sharp knife. Let them macerate in a dish for 20 minutes with the lime juice and grated zest.
7. Make the coconut croustillant: mix grated coconut with syrup to make a thick paste. Spread this paste between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll it out as thinly as possible. Deep-freeze for 1 hour until very hard.
8. Peel off the top sheet of parchment paper and bake the coconut croustillant for 20 minutes in a 160ºC oven, checking often so that it doesn’t burn.
9. Use a tablespoon to drop a little white chocolate mousse into a stemmed glass. Place a few well-drained slices of mango on top. Cover with white chocolate mousse and top again with mango slices.
10. Break pieces of coconut croustillant and stick them into the mousse. Sprinkle with passion fruit pulp and seeds, and serve well chilled.