The waters off the Madagascan island of Tsarabanjina are the perfect place for beginners to explore the beauty and wonder of the Indian Ocean.
Here is our list of the top 5 dive sites for beginners in Madagascar.
1. South Beach – This vibrantly colourful dive is ideal as a first dive or to build up your confidence. Departing from the east end of South Beach it follows a wall of rock over gradually descending sand before you arrive at a stunning coral reef. The maximum depth is 10 meters.
2. The Two Sisters – Close to the hotel this dive is named after a pair of vertical rocks which play host to an array of soft corals and fish including the common sight of turtles swimming by. This dive is so gentle that it is often dived at night. Maximum depth 14 meters.
3. Akio Reef – This is a fantastic wall-dive for beginners because at 12 meters it is not very deep. The wall provides the perfect environment to see a wide variety of big pelagic fish such as king fish, king mackerel, large groupers and even white tip reef sharks.
4. Kasimo – This 2km stretch of magnificent coral reef is a breath-taking treat for the beginner diver. Although it is considered slightly technical because of its beautiful caves and occasional currents, it is well worth it to see the vibrantly coloured corals and sea life. Highlights include sweet-lips, red and yellow snapper and fusiliers among many others. Considered perfect for all levels the maximum depth of this dive is 12 meters.
5. The Tétons – Perfect for beginners of open water diving these two large rocks mark the location of a stunning reef. Comprised of beautiful soft and hard corals, the reef features a variety of caves and swim-through tunnels to explore as well as a plethora of large spade fish, groupers, turtles, blue spotted rays, lobsters and many large pelagic fish. Dived as a drift dive the maximum depth is 22 meters.