Experience the delicious taste of tropical bread fruit with this sumptuous pudding.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 1 litre fresh coconut milk
- 1kg bread fruit cubes
- 1 vanilla pod
- 200g caster sugar
- 200ml water or milk
- pinch of salt
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1. Peel the bread fruit then cut into even sized cubes.
2. Combine the bread fruit in a large pan with the coconut milk (the coconut milk must cover the bread fruit, if it does not add a little water or milk).
3. Slit the vanilla pod in half lengthways and add to the pan along with the salt and nutmeg. Sweeten to taste with the caster sugar then bring the mixture to the boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook gently for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet bread fruit is tender enough that it can easily be pierced by the point of a knife.
5. This dish can be served warm or cold. If you like a more porridge-like consistency, simmer for about 5 minutes more and then mash the breadfruit gently with a fork.
- Find out more about Constance Lémuria or make a booking on our website
- Learn more about Seychellois cooking with our guide to cooking fish in the Seychelles
- Discover fruits and spices of the Seychelles.