Dishes from the Maldives are heavily influenced by the traditional cuisine of India and Sri Lanka.
This week our Chef de Partie at Constance Halaveli, Pradeep Suranga, brings you 3 of his favourite dishes from his home country of Sri Lanka. The spiciness of the dishes can be modified to suit your own tastes. All of these dishes are available at Jahaz restaurant, Constance Halaveli.
Recipe 1: Green Pea and Cashew Curry
Delicious vegetarian curry, perfect for colder evenings.
- 100g Cashew nuts
- 20g Onion, sliced
- 25g Green peas
- 5g Curry leaves
- 10g Fresh garlic, sliced
- 10g Turmeric powder
- 5g Cumin powder
- 3g Chilli powder
- 5g Coriander powder
- 200ml Coconut milk
- 50ml of Coconut milk cream
1. First soak the cashew nuts in water for 30 minutes.
2. Combine all the ingredients except the green peas and coconut milk into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the cashews are soft.
3. Add the green peas and coconut cream and season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve with fragrant rice.
Recipe 2: Indian Cookies
A delicious after-dinner treat that is traditionally served with Masala tea.
- 400g Butter
- 1kg Flour
- 250g Icing sugar
- 15g Salt
- 50g Milk powder
- 150g Water
1. Pre-heat oven to 180┬░C.
2. Add milk powder and icing sugar to a bowl and mix with water.
3. Then add flour, butter and salt and mix it until it forms like a dough.
4. Roll out the dough and cut with a cookie cutter.
5. Place the cookies on a greased paper lined tray and bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe 3: Hoppers
Hoppers are a traditional breakfast favourite in Sri Lanka, often accompanied by luni miris, a mixture of red onions and spices.
- 250g Rice flour
- 75ml Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g Baking soda or yeast
- 10ml Vegetable oil
- Water as necessary
1. Mix yeast in a little amount of water.
2. Beat the egg very well.
3. Mix all the above ingredients together with rice flour and keep the mixture for 1.5 hours.
4. Add the coconut milk as you need to get the right consistency.
5. Keep the mixture for 15 minutes.
6. Heat the small wok/hopper pan til hot.
7. Add a bit of vegetable oil and swirl it around the pan
8. Take one small ladle of mixture and spread all over the pan and cook over medium and cover with a lid.
Find out more about Constance Halaveli
- Spotlight: Constance Halaveli Resort, Maldives
- Visit the Constance Halaveli website