Fresh heart of palm tree is an Indian Ocean delicacy. Michael Scioli, our Executive Chef at Constance Le Prince Maurice, shares with you one of his best recipes made out of fresh palmiste – ‘Cigars’ of smoked marlin and Pejipaye fresh heart of palm tree, with passion fruit dressing.
For the palmheart:
- 130g thinly diced fresh Pejibaye heart of palm
- 40g fresh lemon-flavoured mayonnaise
- 10g grated horseradish
- 5g grain mustard
- 4g gelatine leaves
- 4g chopped chives
- 1g salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the marlin and passion fruit dressing:
- 130g smoked marlin in slices
- 30g passion fruit coulis
- 2g maïzena
- Rucola salad leaf
- 8ml extra virgin olive oil
1. Put the gelatine in cold water. Press the gelatine and melt in a bain-marie.
2. Remove the gelatine from the bain-marie, add the horseradish, mustard, mayonnaise, chives, salt and pepper.
3. Add the heart of palmtree, mix well and keep at room temperature.
4. Divide the marlin into 4 servings.
5. On a sheet of cling film, lay out the marlin in a rectangular shape, spread a quarter of the mix of palm tree, then roll as a cigar with the cling film.
6. Keep in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
7. Dilute the maizena with a few drops of water.
8. Bring the passion fruit coulis to the boil, then thicken with the maizena.
9. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
You can also purchase the Constance Prince Maurice recipe book from our online store.