Mediterranean food features highly on our menus at Constance Moofushi.
We’ve gathered recipes and influences from across Europe, put them in our basket and brought them over to our idyllic Maldivian island. Some of our favourites include our Asparagus salad, Baba Ghanoush salad, Moutabel salad, Bell pepper chakchouka, Hummus, marinated artichoke and this dish, our famous Moofushi Moussaka.
- Minced meat – lamb, beef or a mixture of both
- Tablespoons butter
- Tinned tomatoes or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Grated cheese – cheddar, parmesan or kefalotiri
- Onion, chopped
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- Salt, pepper
- French toast (friganies), or dried breadcrumbs
For the Bechamel Sauce
- Plain flour
- Milk, (warmed, but not boiling)
- Egg yolks
- Salt, pepper
- Grated cheese, cheddar, parmesan or kefalotiri
1. Peel the potatoes, wash well and slice into 1/4 inch round slices.
2. Fry the potatoes both sides.
3. Remove from pan and place on absorbent paper to soak up any excess oil.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the chopped onion, fry the ground meat (lamb or beef) until browned.
5. Add the finely chopped tomatoes (or paste), salt, pepper and parsley.
6. Cover and simmer until most of the juices are dried up.
7. Remove from the heat.
8. In a greased baking tray, sprinkle the French toast on the bottom of the tray.
9. Place half the potatoes in a layer on the bottom of the baking tray.
10. Sprinkle 1/3 of the grated cheese over the potatoes.
11. Pour all the mince meat sauce over the potatoes and spread evenly.
12. Finish with the rest of the potatoes in a layer over the meat sauce.
13. Prepare the béchamel sauce and pour evenly over the potatoes.
14. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the sauce and then about 2 tablespoons of the ground French toast or breadcrumbs on top.
15. Bake in a medium oven (180C) for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until it reaches a nice golden colour.
16. Remove from the oven and leave it to stand for 5-10 minutes to set before cutting into portions.
Serve with fresh crusty bread and a crisp green salad.