With just 4 months to go until the Bernard Loiseau Culinary Festival gets underway next March, chefs across our Constance resorts have been taking part in the final pre-selection event.
We can already tell that next year’s will be an exceptional festival, with one candidate taking part from each of our resorts.
In November, all candidates were tasked with preparing a starter and a main course, all using the same ingredients.
For the appetiser
- Shrimps 21/25
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper
For the main course
- Fillet of fresh red snapper
- Sweet potato
- Coconut milk
How the judging works
We created a panel of 4 jury members for the tasting and one ‘technical’ jury member in the kitchen for each of our resorts. The rules and regulations, the timing, and the ingredients were the same.
The task was for each candidate to express his technique and creativity, and aim to impress the jury members.
Criteria for the kitchen jury:
- Hygiene (Grooming, work flow, cleanliness, respect of hygiene standards) – out of 20 points
- Respect of culinary techniques – out of 20 points
- Organisation – out of 20 points
- Fair-play attitude – out of 20 points
- Timing – out of 20 points
Criteria for the tasting panel:
- Presentation, smell, colour, attractiveness of the dish - out of 5 points
- Best use of produce - out of 5 points
- Texture, right degree of cooking, temperature – out of 10 points
- Creativity, originality - out of 10 points
- Taste - out of 20 points
As the day got underway, there was much excitement and enthusiasm in our kitchens. The result was impressive, as you can see from the photos.
What happens next
All candidates are now anxiously awaiting the results.
Once each hotel knows who will be representing them at the festival, intensive training will start in order to be ready for the big day in March.
Watch this space for more information. And don’t miss our previous articles on:
- The spirit of the Bernard Loiseau Culinary Festival
- Preparing for the Bernard Loiseau Culinary Festival