TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice 2012
Constance Moofushi Resort, Maldives has been named overall winner in the Asian category in TripAdvisor’s 2012 Travellers’ Choice awards.
Now in their 10th year, the annual TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice awards honour the world’s best hotels, earning their distinction from those who know them best – real travellers. The hallmarks of the winners are remarkable service, value and quality.
Constance Moofushi, The Jewel Island, is situated in one of the best diving spots in the world, in the Western ari Atoll of the Maldives.
Senior Water Villa at Moofushi
With 110 land and water villas to choose from set in an intimate location of pure lagoons, sandbanks and woodlands, it offers guests a fabulous barefoot chic experience.
Our online Constance community just got bigger. In addition to our English Facebook pages, we’ve just launched our German and Italian Facebook too.
- Constance Hotels Experience Facebook
Come and join us – ‘like’ us and visit our Wall for special offers, competitions, photos and the latest news from our resorts.
We want to hear from you too – tell us what you love about Constance, and share your holiday experiences and photos on our Wall.
Indigo at Constance Belle Mare Plage
This wonderful bread served with smoked pork belly is perfect for snacking on at the start of a relaxed weekend lunch.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Raising time: 2 hours
- 75g boucane (smoked pork belly)
- 125g flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 125g fine semolina
- 10g fresh baker’s yeast
- olive oil for brushing
- 5g salt
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC.
2. Cut off the rind from the boucane, then finely dice the meat. Cook it in boiling water for 20 minutes, then drain.
3. In a salad bowl, gather all the ingredients except the salt and boucane. Knead by hand for 8 minutes. Add the salt and boucane, knead for 2 more minutes.
4. Divide this dough into 2 equal-sized balls. Roll out each one separately in an oval shape, about 15cm long and 5cm wide. Lay each fougasse on a biscuit sheet, cut 3 diagonal slits into each one with a sharp knife, and let them rest for 2 hours at room temperature. They should double in size.
5. Bake the fougasses for about 20 minutes in the oven. Take them out of the oven and brush them with olive oil.
Majestic Manta Ray
Every year manta rays arrive to swim in the crystal clear waters around Constance Moofushi. This season, they arrived on 21 December and will stay until the end of April.
Guests at Moofushi can experience swimming alongside these incredible creatures. The Blue Tribe Diving Centre organises snorkelling trips at 3.30pm every day for guests.
Enjoy these amazing photos and facts about mantas, sent from our wonderful dive masters at Moofushi.
1. Manta Rays can be found throughout tropical waters across the world where they often congregate around coral reefs.
Manta Ray and fish in crystal clear waters
2. It’s estimated there are around 10,000 Manta Rays living in the Maldives.
3. Manta Rays are extremely peaceful creatures and pose no threat to scuba divers. They display curiosity towards humans and enjoy swimming among scuba divers.
4. Manta rays are easily found at various ‘cleaning stations’ around the Maldives, where they gather near the coral reef and small fish pass through their gills, feeding off dead tissue and parasites and cleaning the manta in the process. It’s not uncommon to see groups of up to 150 Manta Rays at a cleaning station at one time.
Close up with a Maldivian Manta Ray
5. When divers witness a gathering at a cleaning station, they should keep their distance and remain quiet, so as not to startle the manta rays, who will leave if disturbed.
Fruit skewer palm tree
Gong Xi Fa Cai!
On the evening of 23 January, Constance Halaveli celebrated the Year of the Dragon for Chinese New Year – a very important holiday for our Chinese guests.
Chinese New Year starts with the New Moon on the first day of the new year and ends on the full moon 15 days later. The end of new year is celebrated on the 15th day with a nighttime Lantern Festival.
As the year of the Dragon unfolds, it promises to be one of excitement, unpredictability, exhilaration and intensity – all characteristics of the Dragon.
For travel, Dragons are often attracted by the bizarre. No self-respecting Dragon desires to walk in a tourist’s footsteps. Instead, they take a lot of pleasure in finding hidden destinations, or locations off the beaten track.
Dragons are also sentimental at heart, so taking a second honeymoon would bring immense pleasure too.
If you celebrated Chinese New Year at Constance Hotels, we’d love to see your photos. You can post them on the Constance Facebook page.
Purple tips of the new coral regrowth
Back in November 2011, our team of experts at Constance Halaveli Resort launched a reefscaping programme that aims to stimulate the growth of coral in the lagoon around the Maldives’ resort, and help repair the damage caused by the 2004 Tsunami in 2004.
Since we launched the metal cage structure into the lagoon, there has been significant growth. The purple tips of the coral are a sign that the coral is growing a very rapid rate. Great news!
The next step in the project is a delicate and very important one. Once the coral has reached a healthy size it will be removed from the metal frame and planted in the sea bed within a marked area.
Great progress as the coral starts to grow
The coral will then be monitored regularly to see how it adapts to being placed back in the natural environment.
We’ll keep you posted on progress.
We’d love to hear what you think about the project – you can leave a comment on the blog below, or post to our Constance Facebook page or Twitter.