Mauritian cuisine has been growing steadily in popularity in the UK since Shelina Permalloo won Masterchef with her delicious Mauritian-inspired menu back in 2012. In fact, Indian Ocean cuisine has proved so popular that next month Shelina will be releasing her second Mauritian cookery book and opening a restaurant later in the year, proving our love affair with Mauritian food is far from over.
A mixture of European, Indian, African and Chinese influences, Mauritian cuisine offers a rich blend of exotic spices and classic flavours, which is completely unique to the island. The fragrant spices grown here including cinnamon, nutmeg, saffron, turmeric, coriander and chillies give a fragrant heat to Indian-inspired curries, Chinese noodles and even European-style stews.
With a rich marine life off its shores seafood is an important part of Mauritian cuisine as is its tasty street food such as gateaux piments (fried chilli cakes), delicious tamarind dusted pineapple and dhal puris (lentil filled rotis) which can be bought at markets across the island.
Join in the fun
At Constance Le Prince Maurice and Constance Belle Mare Plage our world-class chefs celebrate the flavours and influences of Mauritian cuisine in the menus of restaurants across the resorts from the grilled seafood of beach restaurant La Kaze at Belle Mare Plage to the refined Archipel at Le Prince Maurice.
If you really want to impress your friends back home you can even join the Mauritian cuisine revolution by taking a cookery class with one of our chefs to learn how to recreate those delicious island flavours in your own kitchen.
- Get yourself in the island spirit by having a go at some of our Mauritian recipes at home. Try our 3 ways to cook palm hearts
- Check out our Mauritian-inspired marinade recipes
- Brighten up winter days with our recipe for bread with green mango pickles
- See our website for more information on the gastronomy experience at Constance
- Follow Shelina Permalloo’s Mauritian cuisine blog on Huffington Post and pick up some tasty recipes.