Our Head Sommelier, Jerome Faure, brings you highlights from the beginning of a fabulous week of wine appreciation as the Art de Vignes wine growers’ collective visits the Seychelles.
Sunday 3 March
Our sommeliers at Constance Ephelia enjoyed training with Anne and Olivier Decelle, owners of St Emilion Grand Cru Chateau Jean Faure. We tried the 2009 and 2010. It is a special blend with 50% Cabernet Franc, 40% Merlot and 10% malbec. The property is close to St Emilion Premier Grand Cru Cheval Blanc.
The 2010 is for me a really wonderful wine – one of the top from St Emilion.
Anne and Olivier Decelle also own Domaine Mas Amiel, located in Roussillon nearPyrenees. They are making Maury (Fortified Wine) Maury Sec (new appellation in 2011 – only Red ) and some Cotes du Roussillon Villages (White, Red and Rosé).
On Sunday evening we enjoyed a wine tasting with all the wine makers and our guests at Constance Ephelia.
Wines we tried:
- Cotes du Roussillon Villages Plaisir Rose – Mas Amiel 2012
- Saumur Insolite Domaine des Roches Neuves – Thierry Germain 2011
- Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes Viognier Georges Vernay 2011
- Montagny 1er Cru Jean-Marc Boillot 2010
- Cotes de Castillon Domaine de l’A – 2005
- Chateauneuf du Pape Chateau de Beaucastel 2009
The menu was proposed with Domaine Mas Amiel and Chateau Jean Faure.
Cotes du Roussillon Villages Altair 2010 Mas Amiel with Red Snapper Wheel’s Carpaccio with Green Bean Salad and local Passion Fruit Dressing
Maury – Mas Amiel 1969 with marinated Red Tuna Rose, Grilled Zucchini with Light Curry Apple Compote and Tomato with Xeres Vinegar.
St Emilion Grand Cru Chateau Jean Faure 2010 with Lamb Fillet with CrispyParmaHam, Local Eggplant Chutney, Parmesan Tuile and Pan Forte Sauce.
Maury Charles Dupuy, Mas Amiel 2008 with Surprise Dark Chocolate Sphere with Berries Compote.
Monday 4 March:
We held staff training about Rhone Valley Wine with Christine Vernay (Domaine George Vernay) who is owner and wine maker for prestigious appellation from North of Rhone Valley (Cote Rotie – Condrieu) and Thomas Perrin, one of the owners of Chateau de Beaucastel in Chateauneuf du Pape.
Wines we tried:
- Vin de Pays Pied de Samson Viognier – Vernay 2011
- Cotes du Rhone StAgathe – Vernay 2010
- St Joseph Vernay 2010
- Cote Rotie Blonde du Seigneur Vernay 2010
- Luberon Vieille Ferme 2011
- Cotes du Rhone – Coudoulet White 2011
- Cotes du Rhone – Coudoulet Red 2010
- Chateauneuf du Pape Beaucastel White 2011
- Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes Beaucastel White 2011
- Chateauneuf du Pape Beaucastel Red 2010
- Chateauneuf du Pape Beaucastel Hommage a J. Perrin 2009
Evening at our new Chinese Restaurant at Ephelia :
Chef Ling and his team with the collaboration of our sommelier team created a menu with Thomas Perrin wines from the Chateau de Beaucastel in theRhoneValley
Cotes du Lubéron, La Vieille Ferme, 2011 with Chef Ling canapés selection
Chateauneuf du Pape, Chateau de Beaucastel, Vieilles Vignes, 2009 with Seafood siew mai with caviar
Chateauneuf du Pape, Chateau de Beaucastel, Vieilles Vignes, 2009 with Crispy chicken in sweet and sour sauce
Chateauneuf du Pape, Chateau de Beaucastel, 2005 with Wok fried black pepper New Zealand beef with bamboo shoots
Muscat de Beaumes de Venise, Perrin, 2010 with Pancake stuffed with coconut mousse, exotic fruit minestrone, lychee sherbet
Find out more about Art de Vignes in Seychelles
- Constance Ephelia and Lemuria celebrate French wine making
- Art de Vignes collective
- Constance Ephelia website
- Constance Lemuria website