Fabulous hillside villa
Constance Ephelia, Seychelles, together with EarthQuest Management Consultants have been awarded the prestigious Gold Award at the South African Landscape Industry awards ceremony, in recognition for superior landscape construction.
The monumental project of turning the idea of Constance Ephelia into reality was a huge undertaking. Ephelia is situated on a stretch of pristine beach, surrounded by 120 hectares of rare tropical vegetation.
The resort was designed by esteemed landscape design company, Colin Okashimo & Associates in Singapore. But it was due to EarthQuest Management Consultants that the spectacular design vision became reality. Key masterminds behind the project were:
- Renzo Derksent supported by Garrith Brokensha and Brian Brigilia
- Alex de Maroussem, who sourced and propagated all 195,000 plants at the resort
The final result of this mammoth undertaking is nothing short of spectacular.
Read more about enhancing biodiversity in the Seychelles.
Bar at Lodge Tsarabanjina
This weekly feature offers a round-up of the content on our blog from the past week, in case you missed anything.
Split into categories, it’s another way for you to easily find the posts of value to you.
Behind the scenes
Bring paradise to your home with this delicious fruity dessert. Guaranteed to pep up the finale to a weekend dinner party.
Beach Deck at Le Prince Maurice
Preparation time: 1 hour
Marinating time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Freezing time: 1 hour
Refrigerating time: 1 hour
- 2 mangoes
- juice and grated zest of 2 limes
- pulp and seeds of 2 passion fruit
For the custard:
- 10cl milk
- 10cl crème fraîche
- 40g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 vanilla pod
For the white chocolate mousse:
- 150g white chocolate
- 1 leaf gelatin
- 15g chilled whipping cream
For the coconut croustillant
- 60g grated coconut
- 70g syrup (made from 40g sugar boiled with 30cl water)
1. To make the custard: in a saucepan, scald the milk with crème fraîche and vanilla, then remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, briskly whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Pour the hot milk on the sugar-yolks mixture, whisk well, pour this back into the saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring with a spatula until thickened. Remove from heat, pour custard through a sieve and keep 100g aside for the mousse.
3. Make the white chocolate mousse: soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water. Finely chop the white chocolate with a knife.
4. After 10 minutes, drain the gelatine and squeeze it between your fingers to remove moisture. Incorporate it to the warm custard, then pour the custard onto the chocolate and mix until smooth and creamy.
5. In a chilled bowl, whip the chilled cream until stiff. Fold this whipped cream into the chocolate cream, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Wash the mangoes, peel them and finely slice them with a sharp knife. Let them macerate in a dish for 20 minutes with the lime juice and grated zest.
7. Make the coconut croustillant: mix grated coconut with syrup to make a thick paste. Spread this paste between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll it out as thinly as possible. Deep-freeze for 1 hour until very hard.
8. Peel off the top sheet of parchment paper and bake the coconut croustillant for 20 minutes in a 160ºC oven, checking often so that it doesn’t burn.
9. Use a tablespoon to drop a little white chocolate mousse into a stemmed glass. Place a few well-drained slices of mango on top. Cover with white chocolate mousse and top again with mango slices.
10. Break pieces of coconut croustillant and stick them into the mousse. Sprinkle with passion fruit pulp and seeds, and serve well chilled.
We recently ran a ‘Weird Wildlife’ photo competition and have received some fantastic entries. Thank you to everyone who has entered. We’ve looked at every entry and after much deliberation we’ve chosen the winner.
Lisa Barker took this photo of a fabulous looking stick insect. Anyone know what the actual name of this creature is?
- Stick insect – Weird wildlife winner
Congratulations to our winner please get in contact with us via email (email@example.com) Twitter or Facebook with your contact details. You must contact us within 2 months of the date of this article, otherwise we will need to reallocate the prize.
Watch this space – we’ll be announcing a new competition soon.
Fabulous setting at Jing
Awaken the senses with a tantalising new menu at Jing, our South East Asian restaurant at Constance Halaveli.
The new menu has been inspired by the fresh flavours from South East Asia coupled with modern day cooking techniques. Our chef will take you on an intrepid culinary journey of discovery.
Here’s a sneak peek at what’s on offer:
- Waldoff Made Over – a modern twist on a classic salad
- Lobster Bisque – rock lobster croquette & warm artichoke salad
- Asian Mushroom Soup – summer truffles with Shimeji & Pencil Asparagus
- Red Thai Curry Cappuncino – a Jing signature red thai curry soup with coconut air
- Seared Diver Scallops – with Teriyaki Risotto and Hijiki & Kaffir Lime Cloud
- Soya Raviolli Alaskan King Crab & Sevruga Caviar
- Roasted Kumera & Ginger Gnocchi – kumera is a native New Zealand sweet potato
- Garlic & Curry Leaf Spiced Chicken Sous Vide – this dish requires a special cooking method called Sous Vide. It cooks in a warm water bath for approximately 1 hour to deliver succulent tender meat.
- Textures of Apple, 5 different ways to have an apple – apple as gelée, apple sorbet, apple espuma, apple compote and apple crumble.
Jing - the perfect venue for a taste discovery.
Infinity pool at Le Prince Maurice
Enjoy your honeymoon at the wonderfully luxurious Le Prince Maurice on the paradise island of Mauritius, and get up to 20% discount on the amount your spouse pays.
You’ll be staying in a junior suite or villa, and the package includes:
- daily breakfast and dinner
- fruit speciality and wine (1 per room)
The offer is not combinable with any other offer. Valid for stay from 11 October 2011- 30 April 2012, excluding 22 December 2011-6 January 2012. You must stay for a minimum of 5 nights.
Find out more about this fantastic honeymoon deal, including terms and conditions.